Support & Resources
Your Feelings Matter
Our entire staff is here to support and encourage you on your journey back to wellness. We understand you will have many feelings – denial, anger, fear, sadness, loneliness – but remember hope, determination, confidence, and courage are also feelings that can help you take control and fight your disease.
Naturally, friends and loved ones will also have a range of emotions and questions about your type of cancer, treatment options, and how they can support you in the months to come.
Social Work Services
Our goal is to eliminate potential barriers to care for all our patients at Piedmont Cancer Institute. We strive to align patients with resources for financial assistance, guidance with medical and insurance coverage, and psychosocial support. The Social Work department is here to assist with practical needs within the institution and the community to ensure treatment is accessible for all. Our team is dedicated to guiding, educating, and advocating for patient needs throughout their oncology and hematology treatment journey at Piedmont Cancer Institute.
Please contact your Oncology team at PCI for a referral.
Erika Flippin, LMSW
Stacie Nevins, LCSW
In order to provide comprehensive care to our patients, PCI has added a Palliative care provider to our patient support resources. Palliative care is an interdisciplinary medical caregiving approach aimed at optimizing quality of life and mitigating suffering among people with serious, complex, and often terminal illnesses. Palliative care is provided by specially trained physicians or specialists that work together with a patient's other doctors to provide another layer of support. It can be provided along with curative treatments.
Dr. Joshua Jackson is a dual board-certified physician specializing in Supportive Medicine. He is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in Internal Medicine and the American Board of Medical Specialties in Palliative Medicine. He is passionate about providing person-centered care and improving the quality of life of people receiving cancer treatments or living with other serious illnesses.
Fellowship trained in Palliative Medicine at New York Presbyterian Hospital with focused training at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; Dr. Jackson currently practices at Piedmont Atlanta Hospital and, most recently, in private practice at the Supportive Medicine Specialists outpatient clinic.
Dr. Jackson currently sits on the Piedmont Healthcare System Ethics Committee. He delivers multiple keynote presentations within the Piedmont Healthcare System on Supportive Medicine's role in geriatrics, neuro-critical care, heart failure, rehabilitation medicine, ethics, patient advocacy, and wound care.
Dr. Jackson has been highlighted as one of US News' Top Doctors in the United States (2022) and recognized as one of Atlanta Magazine's Top Doctors (2022). His recent published works include features in Modern Health Magazine and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC).
Dr. Jackson sees patients at our Atlanta Howell Mill location every other Monday, either in-person or virtually. Ask your oncologist if you are interested in Palliative care. Please talk with your provider about a referral to Dr. Jackson or contact him at 470-830-2221.
Thrive Together is a peer support program for patients and care partners seeking support for pancreatic cancer at any disease stage. Learn more about who is eligible, meeting times, and how to enroll.
We have a library of resources and reading materials that can be informative to both you and your family. In addition to books we keep on hand, you will also find useful information on the web. Listed are a few sites we suggest you visit:
- American Cancer Society - Cancer.org
- Atlanta Cancer Care Foundation - AtlantaCancerCareFoundation.org
- Cancer Care - CancerCare.org
- Cancer Foundation of Georgia - CancerFoundationOfGeorgia.org
- Cancer.net, ASCO, Knowledge Conquers Cancer - Cancer.net
- Cholangiocarcinoma(Bile Duct) Foundation - Cholangiocarcinoma.org
- Colon Cancer Coalition - ColonCancerCoalition.org
- Colon Cancer Foundation - ColonCancerFoundation.org
- Destroy Pancreatic Cancer - DestroyPancreaticCancer.org/hope-and-plan
- DigniCap Scalp Cooling System - DigniCap.com
- Georgia Core Center for Oncology Research & Education - GeorgiaCancerInfo.org
- GO2 for Lung Cancer - GO2.org
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - LLS.org/support-resources
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Skincare/Hair Care, Wigs and Makeup - LLS.org/support-resources/other-helpful-organizations/patient-well-being-during-treatment/skin-care-hair
- Lung Cancer Research Foundation - LungCancerResearchFoundation.org/for-patients/how-we-can-help
- National Cancer Institute - Cancer.gov
- National Cancer Institute, Cancer Support Groups - Cancer.gov/about-cancer/coping/adjusting-to-cancer/support-groups
- Ovarian Cancer Institute - OvarianCancerInstitute.org
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network - PanCAN.org
- Prevent Cancer Foundation - PreventCancer.org
- Prostate Cancer Foundation - PCF.org